French toast has been around since the 4th century and has been called many a name. The Scots called it believe it or not, Gangsta Bread, the French refer to it as Pain Perdu meaning "lost bread", in the United Kingdom they licked their fingers after savouring some Eggy Bread and we in North America refer to it as French Toast!
On your next Sunday morning if you would like to treat yourself to a sweet breakfast, try this delicious recipe for Pain Perdu!
6 Large Eggs
1 1/2 Cups of Heavy Cream, Half and Half or Milk
2 Tablespoons of Pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
Pinch of Ground Salt and Nutmeg
1) Whisk together the above ingredients until fully combined and pour over 6-8 slices of any bread such as, challah or broiche.
2) Make sure to completely cover both sides of bread until they are fully soaked with above egg mixture.
3) Heat four tablespoons of butter and vegetable oil in a skillet at medium heat.
4) Fry bread slices until golden brown on both sides.
5) Serve warm with maple syrup, fresh berries and a sprinkle of icing sugar. Add bacon if you wish!
Donna for Amanda's Fashion Spot